Tuesday, September 1, 2009

back on the mountain

We are a week into the semester and already this year is shaping up to be very different from all my others here.

1. I only have a three day week. Having no classes on Mondays and Fridays is pretty freaking sweet. It's giving me a lot of time to actually do the work I need to do for the classes I have and not feel like I'm being pulled in so many different directions. Plus, I only have tests in one of my classes; the rest just involve reading or discussion (or dreaming! My psychology of dreams class may just be my fave.)

2. Since my schedule is pretty empty, this year was the first year I felt ok about finding a job and committing to it. I used to always worry about having enough time to study and do my homework with a job on top of everything so I never bothered to find one. I have a deskwork job lined up and maybe even possibly some tutoring. The extra money will be nice!

3. My new dorm is roomy and quiet. The closet, as I mentioned before, is indeed huge. I need to go buy some more hangers because I'm probably using less than a quarter of the hanging space I have. I'm also using the closet as a pantry for all my food and there is a drying rack set up in there. If worse came to worse, I could probably live in my closet if I had to! The rest of the room is a decent size and I've got a lot of space to move around. No complaints here. As for neighbors, I've only got only seven of them, plus the RA. I know one of the girls pretty well, the rest not so much. We had a game night and I rocked at Taboo as house bonding commenced. All in all, I'm happy with my decision to move here. The only sucky part about it is that I am on the edge of campus so anytime I want to go somewhere, I have to give myself enough time to walk and get there on time.

4. As for the old roomie, she has a new boy interest so most of her downtime is spent with him. That's to be expected, I guess, but I can't help but think back to freshman and sophomore years where all of us hung out basically 24/7. She was kind of the glue that held us all together, and now that she is not around as much, the rest of us are kind of scattered. We did go out to lunch for her birthday, so I'm hoping that every so often there will be times like that where we all hang out. We do have lunch and dinner together most days, but it's so hectic and all we do is complain about the bad food and then go our separate ways afterward. It's a little bittersweet but I guess this is only natural. It's sad because this is kind of what I was scared of over the summer, though I've never exactly been one for change so it could just be me making mountains out of molehills.

Well, that's pretty much it. I have some reading I need to do for tomorrow (lots of it, blah) so I better get to it. I've been trying to read this stuff for the last two days and it is not going well. Tonight is basically my last chance before class tomorrow so wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great semester, hopefully it pans out to be as unstressful as it has started out to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You are so lucky.

    2. Keep up updated on the desk job and tutoring! What kind of tutoring?

    3. You are so isolated so it seems. I'm glad you like it. I can relate to the edge on my campus. I feel like a hitchhiker and actually want to put my thumb up whenever a car passes me by. I have to go over several quite steep hills just to go eat, class or see a friend. So I understand.

    4. I'm sorry about your roomie/best friend. I'm sure it will all be worth it at the end. Like, it's okay that it's a tad bittersweet. You both know that you'll be there for each other 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be fab having Mondays and Fridays off!! I would love to get to a stage in my life where I can get more of a work/life balance but I think it is more the time for ambition now, not complacency.

    Heh - absent room mates - reminds me of my own time in varsity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friends my first/second year of college weren't the same the ones I had at the end of college and still keep in regular contact with today. It will all work out for the best.

    -julie

    ReplyDelete